Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Just under the wire

I'm really not entirely sure what to post about today. I've had a lot on my mind, but I'm not really ready to turn it into a blog post.

We hard our first installment of the Revelation study today. We mostly talked about apocalyptic literature, and by we, I mean I... I sort of slipped into professor mode, but I really wanted to cover a lot today. It went alright, but I'm looking forward to jumping into Revelation and seeing how each of our different attitudes and life experiences translate into trying to understand what Revelation is really all about. One of the guys in my study tonight told me he wasn't sure about coming this summer because he wasn't sure how Revelation applied today, since, we aren't really oppressed. So another guy recommended that we all try to talk to people who are oppressed to understand what its like. We are also all going to try to bring in stories of oppressed Christians so we get a better idea of the audience for whom Revelation is intended. Anyway, it should be a good study.



In other news, The Slate has a weekly poem. I usually skip it, but this one caught my attention.

I Realized I Was Happy and It Scared Me by Rich Ives

Something had to have been here before me
for here to be here, so sometimes
I say I'd like a little silence,

to see if I can discover what it was,
but what I really want is quiet, in which
you hear just a few things

better, which is not silence,
in which you hear one thing
Again and again and again

and it's not even there.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I really like the "another guy recommended that we all try to talk to people who are oppressed to understand what its like." I'd say your bible study should incorporate some type of ministry to the homeless or something in Champaign. That would be wicked cool. Being connected to people who are oppressed has been something that has really changed me in the last 10 months.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home