Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Same-Sex Marriage

While reading my bloglines this morning, saw that John the Methodist had posted this weeks Methodist Blog Weekly Roundup. One of the "Best of Methodist blogosphere" was a post about how same-sex marriage might affect straight people. The post was eloquent and very well written and everyone should read it. This is my favorite quote from the whole post:

I would argue that yes, the rights of GLBT people should trump religious liberty. My religious liberty should extend only so far as I don't infringe on the rights of others, and denying GLBT people and same-sex couples the same rights and responsibilities straight couples enjoy does infringe on their rights. It does hurt their families in very real ways that are much more significant and tangible then "the state is stopping me from practicing my religion." Kids being ripped from homes, families being torn apart, loved ones being denied access to each other in times of crises; surely these are all far greater ills then "my church can't get a license to be an adoption agency because we thing same-sex relationships are wrong."

I would also add that current laws against same-sex marriage also deny some individuals religious liberty. A same-sex couple whose faith allows for same-sex relationships but only allows for sexual conduct within the confines of marriage is being denied their religious liberty if they aren't allowed to get married. So whose religious liberty wins out? Mine or yours?


I wish I had more to say about it then "Amen" but unfortunatly thats all I've got at this hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home